Am I on the Town of Preston voting list?

To find out if you are registered as a Preston voter, call the Registrars of Voters Office at 860-887-5581 x7.

Where do I vote?  What is my voting district?

District 2 covers all of Preston and the voting hall is located at 389 Route 2 in the Preston Town Hall.  

How do I register to vote?

Register in person at any Registrars’ or Town Clerk’s office in the State, any public library, the Department of Motor Vehicles when you get your driver’s license, at certain Social Service Agencies, or at any place where a voter registration drive is taking place.  Bring identification to show your identity and residence. 

You can also register by mail.  Please call the Registrar’s Office at 860-887-5581 x7 and ask for an application to be sent to you, or pick up a voter application from at any of the above places.  You can also download the application here.

Send the completed form to:
Town of Preston
Attn:  Registrar of Voters
389 Route 2
Preston, CT 06365.

Please be aware there are deadlines before elections and primaries.  Register early to ensure that you will be able to vote. Contact the Registrar's Office 860-887-5581 x7 or the Town Clerk's Office x111 for further information regarding deadlines.

How do I vote by absentee ballot?

Absentee ballots are handled by the Town Clerk’s Office.
You can vote by absentee ballot in any election, primary or referendum if you will not be able to get to the polling place because you are ill or physically disabled, because you are serving n the military, because you will be out of town on election day, because your religion forbids secular activity on election day, or because you are serving as a poll worker at a polling place other than your own.

You can obtain an application for absentee ballot from the Town Clerk’s Office, or click here.

Can I vote in the next primary?

Only people who are registered voters and enrolled in the party holding the primary are eligible to vote in the primary.

To enroll in a party, you fill out a voter registration form, just as you do when you register to vote, and indicate on the form which party you wish to join.  If you are not already a member of another party, your enrollment will take effect as soon as your form is approved. If you are switching parties, your enrollment takes effect 90 days after your form is approved; during this waiting period, you are not a member of any party.

  • To be eligible to vote in a primary, a person who is not already enrolled in any party may enroll by mail by the fifth day before the primary or may enroll in person at the Registrars' Office anytime before noon on the day before the primary. These deadlines also apply if you are not already a registered Preston voter and wish to register and enroll at the same time. 
  • If you are already enrolled in a party and wish to switch parties to vote in a primary, the deadline is ninety days before the primary.
  • To find out if you are already enrolled in a party, call the Registrars' Office at 860-887-5581 x7.

Do I have to re-register if I move or change my name?

If you move into Preston from another town in Connecticut or from another state, you must re-register. Voter registration does not carry over between towns.

If you move within Preston or if you change your name, you do not need to re-register, but you do need to inform us in writing of your new name or address. Use the Voter Registration Form to notify us of the change.

 How do I remove my name from the Preston Voting List?

 You must inform us in writing. Use the Removal Form available here.